Saturday, June 18, 2011

Squashed Tomato

Here's what I made today for Father's Day get-together.  Everyone enjoyed it so much, it may be a mainstay in my culinary repertoire.  I doubled this recipe and made two batches for our big feast.

We had a wide array of grilled meats along with lots of veggies from the family garden.  Oh and homemade peach ice cream by Uncle Don.  I'm not a father, but it all made me happy.

I stewed 6-7 big juicy red tomatoes the day before I made this dish.



3-4 small to medium organic summer squash and/or zuchhini, sliced
   about 1/4" thick
Onion flakes (or if you don't come dangerously close to blindness chopping onions like me, 1 sweet onion)
2-3 organic tomatoes, previously stewed - or not
5...ish organic yellow and red cherry tomatoes cut in halfsies (cause they're cute)
Garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 cups of organic shredded cheddar or cheese of your liking
Panko bread crumbs (I didn't use Panko, but it would have been better if I had)
Olive oil, to drizzle

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
You'll be doing two layers, so be sure to divide veggies and cheese for each layer.  Butter a 9 x 9 inch baking pan, spread a layer of half of the sliced squash across the bottom of the pan and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.  Scatter half of the chopped onion/onion flakes on top of the squash and half of tomatoes on top of the onion. Salt and pepper to taste, and add half of the shredded cheese.  Repeat with another layer of squash, a light sprinkle of garlic powder, onion, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and all of the remaining cheese. Sprinkle top generously with a layer of panko bread crumbs and drizzle all over with olive oil.

Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, or until tender. Sprinkle top with basil if desired, and use a slotted spoon to serve.

Sorry, no photo.  Maybe after the next time, I will come back and add.

1 comment: